Sunday, June 28, 2009

Rhubarb


I love cooking with rhubarb, if only for its silly name. But also I never cease to be amazed by the way when you cook it, it magically transforms itself from a sturdy stem to mushy sticky goodness before your eyes.
This weekend while I continued on with my drawing (see post below), I baked up some Rhubarb and pear compote to have on my porridge in the mornings. Grey skies outside, gooey rhubarb bubbling away inside.. ah bliss!

Rhubarb and Pear compote


1. Peel and core three pears, and cut into thick wedges.
2. Trim and wash one bunch of rhubarb, and cut the stems into 6cm pieces.
3. Arrange the pears and rhubarb in a medium sized baking dish.
4. Pour over the juice of one orange, add a dash of vanilla essence, half a teaspoon of cinnamon (or a cinnamon quill). Add cloves etc if you wish.
5. Stir to combine and then sprinkle with a teaspoon of sugar.
6. Cover the dish with foil and bake at 180 degrees for 40 minutes, or until the rhubarb has done it's magic! You'll know when it has happened by the sudden blast of sweet and sour fragrance that comes from your oven.

I like to have the compote on porridge but you can have it as a dessert with custard, yogurt or cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment